Monday, July 14, 2008

Bluetooth Headsets

I have used many different types of bluetooth headset with my Blackberry and many types of wired ones as well. Almost all headsets have trade-offs that you'll need to decide about, and many of the trade-offs are hidden. For instance I recently purchased a Plantronics headset with noise reduction. It is the best sounding bluetooth headset I've used, both for the user and the caller on the other end, but it has a hidden weakness. It has a proprietary charger that you must use and there is no way to charge from your desktop using a USB cable. Compare this with the Motorola bluetooth headsets that have a standard USB plug to charge and can be charged using a standard cable and it can be a real life saver when you need to use your phone. The other major hidden difference between headsets is boom mic. Some bluetooth headsets have a boom that will fold back into the body of the headset which turns off the bluetooth. This can be very advantageous as you will always know when your headset is on and engaged. This may sound funny but I often find myself looking for my headset because it is on and attached to my Blackberry. I have to find the headset before I can answer the phone. The power savings, which I always thought was a big deal with the folding boom, turned out to not be that big an issue. Turns out the batteries are good enough to go a couple of days at least without a recharge. I don't use my bluetooth as much as some so I can use by bluetooth for a couple of days between charges. I still use it a couple of hours each day but I have only run out of juice once since I started using the Plantronics. The only other bluetooth that I have used that is close is the Jawbone, which is also an excellent headset. The Jawbone is designed to sit on your ear and is comfortable enough to wear all day. I used to forget I was wearing it and start looking for it when the phone rang. The buttons are a little small and sometimes they are hard to hit when you're driving, but all and all it was an excellent headset as well. The reason I stopped using the Jawbone was because it is designed as a fashion statement and everyone looks at it that way. I remember, when using the Jawbone, people would look at me like "oh you're one of those". It made me feel like I was a Borg or something when I walked around with my Jawbone in my ear. I went back to a corded headset and that was fine but eventually found the Plantronics which has been working fine for the last several months. It is a little heavy, but the sound quality is excellent and battery life, as mentioned previously, is very good. I always carry a corded headset, just in case, but haven't had to use it since I got the new bluetooth. My suggestion, when people ask about headsets, is to go to a store where you can try them on. Clip them on your ear and play with them for a few minutes. Push the button like you're answering a call and walk around a little. If you feel a little pinching or pulling then that headset isn't right for you and you should try another. There are as many bluetooth headsets as there are people that want to use them. Find the one that fits your ear, your Blackberry, and your lifestyle. Everyone that I have talked to that uses a bluetooth headset has something or another that isn't quite right but they all have found the headset that works the best for them. There will be tradeoffs you just need to find the headset that you can live with and use every day.

How to pair your headset - First scroll all the way down until you see the bluetooth symbol which kind of looks like the blue healthcare symbol. Make sure the symbol is blue (on) and not grey (off). Sometimes you may want to turn off bluetooth to save battery on your Blackberry (it makes a huge difference) but if you bluetooth is off you can not use your headset. Scroll up to the Options icon and press the scroll wheel. Scroll up to bluetooth and press the scroll wheel. Press the scroll wheel again and press add device. You'll need to put your headset in "discover mode" which is generally done by holding down the button until the LED starts flashing. The Blackberry should find the new device and ask for a password. This is usually 0000 but some headsets are different so check you manual for the password. This will pair your headset with your blackberry so whenever your Blackberry sees the headset they will link together. The only way to break this pairing is to turn off the headset or bluetooth on the Blackberry. You should now be able to answer calls on your bluetooth headset.

Answering your bluetooth headset - The headset will generally ring or chirp when a call comes into your Blackberry. To answer the call you should push the button on your headset and speak normally. Sometime there is a brief delay as the call is answered which you will quickly learn to wait for. Make sure you can quickly find and press the button as it will be important if you plan to use the headset while driving. You can't lose your concentration while driving and stay safe. So get comfortable with you bluetooth headset before you try to drive and use it.

No comments: